Tuesday 2 January 2018

My plans for 2018's Table - Dozer

By: Dozer

With the new year upon us I've asked the rest of the contributors about their plans for the table in 2018. 

For me 2018 will be a big year of change and working on things that worked out over the last couple of years. My job is changing, my other job is evolving, my family has grown with another nephew, and I still have about 3-4 months of travel due. I have a new house on the way and all the joy that comes with it. We also can't forget all the new games that will be released and played.

Makes 2018 a year of hope for a guy like me.

It will be busy but it also looks awesome.



Largest Upcoming Project for 2018:

Building the new Lab (games area) in my new home. Since we sorted the offer and the closing date looming in May I've been designing the next gaming table to work on with Wolf and Burns. I'm desiging the shelving system I want to build and install.

I need to rebuild a whole new workspace for my minis and terrain. I need to sort out storage options for everything from my Magic the Gathering collection, to Infinity miniatures and terrain, to my Privateer Press collection for the RPG and maybe playing some of the Mk III of Warmachine/Hordes.

Game(s) to Play in 2018:

I'm looking forward to playing a few games this year: 

Charterstone

A worker placement legacy game from the folks who crafted Scythe? Yes I want to play this. It comes with Stonemaier's attention to detail. A double sided board allowing for two full legacies in one box after adding a recharge pack once you've completed one legacy. Another neat report from reading up on this game, when you complete one legacy you've only seen one third to a half of the legacy contents found in the game's index.

Scythe: The Rise of Fenris

I'm writing this on 1 Jan 2018 and while I'm writing a portion I get an e-mail for the last expansion of Scythe. Wow does this look awesome! The final expansion is advertised as an up to 8 player replayable campaign with 11 interchangeable modules. While the exact nature of the episodes and modules are a mystery (some components will be locked up in secret tuckboxes), the components listed for this expansion include a detailed episodic guidebook, 13 plastic miniatures, 62 wooden tokens, 2 custom dice, 5 tiles, and 100+ cardboard tokens. Scythe blew up for its last go. I hope the release is early fall because getting Scythe: Wind Gambit in December means that I still haven't played it unless I got some time over the holidays.

More of everything else from Twilight Imperium, to role-playing games I have a lot to play and I hope I get the time, space, and folks to play a few more games with. 

The Big Gaming Event(s) 2018:

I have three major events this year:

Rumble on Route 66 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

This is the world largest gathering of Infinity players. It is the first to use the Dire States branding. Last year I was with Shonty, this year I'll be with Burns and Ontos. Like my last GENCON showing I'll also be showing up with a fully painted Nomad lists. This is more than just playing two days of Infinity, drinking until the hotel runs out glassware, and meeting folks from across the US and world. This is the community of the game - this is here because of the people who play Infinity

GENCON 51 in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Last year was GENCON 50 this year I don't think the hype will be a high but it will not be getting any smaller. Shonty had a good time and this year I plan to spend more time on the floor trying out new games and talking with the folks who make them. This will also be my third visit to the event. I plan to play once more at the Infinity tournament but this time I may go back to playing my JSA. 

Capital Conflict in Ottawa, Ontario.

Last year was a great event and pretty good for a first time showing. Planning next year is going to be interesting. Looking for prize support and finding a venue that meets our needs within our price range will be key. I lost some money for last years event but it didn't feel like a loss since it wasn't by much and I had a good time myself. I definitely want to have the event come with food and the ability to drink. I'd like to try and reach 16 players from last years 12 player count. 

Changes at the Table in 2018:

I'd like to have more minis and terrain painted this year.

My Nomads are looking awesome and they are easy enough to paint. I'd like to put a large dent in them as I get ready for Rumble. I'd also like to go back to my JSA (maybe due to some new sculpts for the core infantry minis) and start putting the same dent in them since they are a much smaller batch of minis. I may even come up with a simple scheme to my Haqq minis that I have or paint up my other Yu-Jin minis.

I have a slew of HINT minis to finish and paint up on top of all of my terrain.

Final Words as 2018 starts:

This year will be busy professionally and personally so planning my time a the table will be key. I'm still travelling across Canada this year until I close the sale of my new house. This year has the potential to be an awesome year.

- Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment